The Jury is the neutral and independent element between the organiser and the competitors. The Jury will rule on protests which may affect the outcome of individual pilot or team scores. The normal composition of a Jury is: A very experienced Jury President, an experienced first Jury member and a trainee member.
In addition to being the Chairman at Jury meetings, the Jury President has the right to require the Organisers to abide by the FAI Sporting Code and the published rules and regulations for the event. If the organisers fail to do so, the President of the Jury has the power to stop the event until a Jury meeting has considered the situation.
Jury President and Steward reports are published after each Category 1 event. They are made available to Delegates of CIVL on request.
Further information on the role of Jury and Stewards can be found in the FAI/CIVL Jury and Steward Handbook. Competition organisers should be familiar with this document.
The Steward's main job is to facilitate the smooth running, safety and fairness of a 1st Category FAI Championship event. The Steward is the independent representative of CIVL, attending the competition for the purpose of observing the conduct of the competition and giving advice to the organisers, team leaders and pilots.
The Steward, being a source of technical information concerning the rules and scoring, can and should liaise with the meet officials and Jury for the purposes of rule interpretations and factors affecting the fairness and safety of the competition. The Steward also collects information and reports on the event to the CIVL Competition Committee.
The Steward’s work starts with the Practice Event. This first report is particularly important to ensure that the organisers are prepared to run the following year’s 1st Category Championship to FAI Sporting Code Rules.
Steward training opportunities are available. Contact the CIVL Competitions Coordinator to register your interest and for further information.
The judging panel is to consist of at least 3 independent judges from at least 2 different countries, one of them being chosen from the list of senior judges is to be the chief judge. The judging panel consists of a group of 5 to 8 persons:
The mark is composed of the scoring average of the FAI judges (importance 80%) and the scoring average of the other judges (importance 20%). When a sufficient number of spectators is present on the event area, a portion of the score is defined by the applause and cheering of the audience. The judges' decision is final. No complaints or protests are allowed!
More about Judges responsibilities is found in the Aerobatic Annex of Section 7B of the Sporting Code.
A team of five Judges is required for Category 1 Paragliding Accuracy Championships, and at least four for 2nd Category events. The Judges are key to determining each pilot’s performance by observing, measuring and recording a score.
In addition, Paragliding Accuracy Records & Badges can only be achieved through performances recorded by CIVL-approved Chief or Event Judges operating at FAI Sanctioned competitions.
The positions of Chief Judge and Event Judge require training and experience, typically at Category 2 events, prior to judging at a 1st Category event. The Target Judge team will consist of at least another three members. The judging team at Category 2 events should include judges from at least two nations. Category 1 Championships must include Judges from 3 nations, with the Chief and Event Judges from different nations.
The Judges will observe all pilot landings noting the first point of ground contact of the Competitor. An electronic scoring device (pad) typically scores from the Dead Centre (DC) out to 15cm. The judges measure scores beyond this, out to 5 or 10m.
More about Judges responsibilities is found in Section 7C of the Sporting Code.
Training at all levels is available on a regular basis each year, often to coincide with major events. Training and qualified judges should make sure they maintain a Judging Log Book, signed by the Chief/Event Judge for each entry. Contact the Committee Chairman for dates and venues of training seminars, or a Chief or Event Judge in your country (see list).
The list below will help Organisers seeking CIVL-appointed, qualified international Chief or Event Judges for their events. The list will be updated on a regular basis. Contact the Committee Chair for amendments to the list, or to find a Chief/Event Judge from a nation not listed.