Only competitions defined as International Sporting Events or Open National Championships (FAI General Section 3.1.3 & 4) and meeting the requirements below may be sanctioned as CIVL recognised 2nd category events.
For full information of the Rules and requirements for Category 2 sanctioned events, please read Section 7, Chapter 4 of the Sporting code. www.fai.org/civl-documents
Category 2 events will gain WPRS points for the pilots competing in accordance with current WPRS rules.
There are currently 8 rankings: HG Class 1, HG Class 1 Sport Class, HG Class 2, HG Class 5, HG Aerobatics, PG XC, PG Accuracy, PG Aerobatics. For further information on the WPRS and formulas, go to: http://civlrankings.fai.org/?a=304&;
At least 30 days before the event, the organiser must ensure the following:
This will enable the event to appear on the FAI calendar and be publicised as a Category 2 event.
If an event is cancelled and all pilots are given the opportunity of a full refund, it can be rescheduled (no extra sanction fee) provided that the minimum 30 days notice is given. The time period is measured from the start date of the re-scheduled competition.
An organiser may specify a second set of dates, the 'Reserve Dates' for the competition. These may be used if the organiser postpones the competition prior to the event taking place, or if it was not possible to start any tasks during the event (i.e. no pilots launched under competition conditions). The 'reserve dates' will be displayed on the FAI event calendar in addition to the primary Competition Dates. This is subject to the following conditions:
1. Minimum numbers: The minimum number of competitors required to validate a Second Category event shall be stated in the regulations for that event and shall not be less than:
8 Paragliding Accuracy
5 Paragliding Aerobatics Solo 3 Paragliding Aerobatics Synchro Teams
Paragliding XC & Hang gliding All classes - No minimum specified
The maximum number of pilots in any sanctioned competition must not exceed 150.
2. Tasks/Rounds: For Hang Gliding Class 1, Class 5 , Sport Class, PG Accuracy and Acrobatics there must be at least two valid tasks/rounds for a Category 2 event to be valid. For Paragliding XC, a single task validates the competition.
A complete set of results in an approved format must be sent to the CIVL Competition Co-ordinator within 7 days of the end of the competition for updating the appropriate Pilot Ranking Scheme. Please confirm the number of valid tasks/rounds flown. Organisers must indicate in the results the pilots holding a valid FAI Sporting Licence.
Format: Preferred formats for HG and PG XC competitions are: FSDB file or the full RACE database.
For PG Accuracy & Aerobatics, an Excel file is acceptable (.xls or .csv) with the results in the following column order:
Please note: PDF files are NOT acceptable.
When submitting results, organisers are required to inform CIVL of any incidents that occurred at the event. Organisers are requested to ensure that for any incident involving a reserve parachute deployment, or that required medical intervention or where a rescue service or external assistance was involved, that an Incident Report Form is completed. The form is available for online completion on the WPRS site. Go to ‘Login’ and follow the instructions if you do not already have a log in. Incidents can be reported by the organiser/meet director, safety director, team leader, witness or by the pilot. More than one person can report on the same incident.
The sanction fee must be paid in Euros exclusively directly to FAI. There are 3 ways to pay:
1. Paypal: The simplest and fastest method of payment is by Paypal. To use Paypal please go to Paypal Payments and follow the instructions. You do not need a Paypal account. Anyone with a credit card can may a payment using Paypal.
2. Bank Transfer: The procedures must be strictly observed. If not, delays or additional bank charges may occur, or the transfer may fail. Please read carefully the information at the following link which describes an IBAN number :
Essentially, the Bank clearing code (SWIFT/BIC) and IBAN code must always be included.
Here are the full banking references, which must be used for all payments:
Credit Suisse Private Banking
Rue du Lion d'Or 5-7
Case postale 2468
CH - 1002 Lausanne
SWIFT/BIC Code: CRES CHZZ 80A
Account name : FAI-CIVL Fédération Aéronautique Internationale
Account n° for Euros exclusively: 0425-457968-32-6
IBAN code: CH63 0483 5045 7968 3200 6
Please reference the payment as follows:
- Category 2 sanction fee,
- Name and date of event.
- Discipline involved (hang gliding, paragliding, paragliding accuracy, aerobatics).
If required by your bank, the FAI Office address is :
Maison du Sport International, Av. de Rhodanie 54, CH-1007 – Lausanne, Switzerland
3. Credit card: You can pay by credit card direct to the FAI. The credit card details can be e-mailed to Cosette Mast at: www.fai.org/civl-contact-us (at your own risk – we do not recommend that you do it) - Tel: +41 21 345 1070 - Fax: +41 21 345 1077.
Details required for a credit card payment:
Type of Card (Visa and Mastercard are accepted)
CVV2 number (security code)
Name on card
Sum to be debited
Payment Reference (eg. Cat 2 SF + name & date of event)
Signature (if faxed)
Name of signatory