The FAI has announced the creation of two awards bearing the name of Breitling, the Global Sponsor of the FAI since 2012: The Breitling Milestone Trophy and the Breitling Youngster Award. Both awards will be presented at the Awards Ceremony of the FAI General Conference..
This award was established in 2012 by the FAI and Breitling, a Global Sponsor of the FAI since 2012, to associate Breitling with a significant milestone in aeronautics or astronautics, and will be first awarded in 2013.
The Breitling Milestone Trophy is reserved for an individual or a group of individuals having achieved a significant milestone, technological step or invention in aeronautics or astronautics (first flight, new technology, etc.) during the previous year and that might contribute to future developments, especially for the practice of air sports.
Frequency and Number
Only one Breitling Milestone Trophy may be awarded each year. However, as this Trophy should match with Breitling’s spirit of technology and excellence, such milestones might not be available each year. Therefore, if no suitable candidate is nominated for a specific year, then FAI and Breitling reserve their right not to assign this Trophy in this year.
This award was established in 2012 by the FAI and Breitling, a Global Sponsor of the FAI since 2012, to associate Breitling with an outstanding sporting performance or contribution to aeronautics or astronautics achieved by a youngster, and will be first awarded in 2013.
The Breitling Youngster Award is reserved for a youngster who, during the previous 12 months and before the date of his 26th birthday :
• Achieved an outstanding sporting performance. This means a performance which is considered by the nominating authority as beyond the normal level of performance compared to what can usually be done, or
• Excelled in a certain area of his sport and is considered as a reference, or
• Significantly contributed to the development and promotion of aeronautics or astronautics.
Frequency and Number
Only one Breitling Youngster Award may be awarded each year. However, as this Award should match with Breitling’s spirit of technology and excellence, such achievements might not be available each year. Therefore, if no suitable candidate is nominated for a specific year, then FAI and Breitling reserve their right not to assign this Award in this year.
1. Objectives : The purpose of the Breitling Awards is to give public recognition to those who have achieved an outstanding performance or contribution to aeronautics and astronautics.
2. Eligibility : Any person, group of persons, institution or commercial company is eligible to receive a Breitling Award. A recipient need not have had any previous connection with FAI or Breitling. No Breitling Award may be awarded to the same recipient more than once.
3. Nomination process :
a. Nominations for Breitling Awards may be made by Breitling (including Breitling Headquarters, President and Retailers), FAI (including FAI Members, Commission Presidents, Executive Board, President and Secretary General) or other institutions or commercial companies related to Breitling or FAI in the field of aeronautics or astronautics.
b. In any given year, a nominating authority may propose only one candidate for each Breitling Award.
c. Nominations for Breitling Awards shall be sent in writing (using the FAI-Breitling Awards Nomination Form available on the FAI and Breitling websites) to the FAI Head Office together with citations not exceeding 250 words, and other supporting information (photos, videos, etc.), to arrive no later than 31 May each year (Exception : For the first year of the Breitling Awards, the deadline for the receipt of nominations is 30 June 2013).
4. Evaluation process : The FAI will evaluate the nominations received and provide a recommendation to the Jury on nominations for Breitling Awards.
5. Jury : The Jury will be composed of 3 Breitling Representatives appointed by Breitling and 3 FAI Representatives appointed by the FAI President.
6. Winners : The winners of Breitling Awards will be informed by the FAI and will then be invited and hosted by Breitling to receive their Award at the FAI Awards Ceremony taking place the day before the FAI General Conference in the same year.