Day 2 in Dubai
Sunday, 26th November 2017
The view across the pond has changed since our last visit here. With the first lift airborne by 9.00 - having arrived at the DZ from the hotels at 8.00, the competitors are making the most of the lower winds this morning to 'swoop' the pond.
The last minute change of venue has put pressure on the set up here at the Marina DZ and the organisational offices and infrastructure are having their final touches added as the Official Practice continues. In addition I understand that it has also put additional pressure on the DZ here, as they had other commitments which means that each competition day will start at 7.30 until 11.00 - which should be good from a wind point of view.
The latest news is that the Chinese delegation has withdrawn from the World Cup - bringing down the overall Nations and Competitors. This does not answer the competitors' questions as they were curious to know of Canopy Piloting development in China.
The morning continued with Official Practice Jumps and by the end of the day 87 competitors had made that jump. The afternoon continued with a mixture of Tandem Jumps timetabled for Skydive Dubai, and paid-for practice jumps.
Tentative Schedule Monday 27th November 2017
Official Practice Period 3rd day 9th FAI WC CP 2017
1. Departure Buses: hotels - competition site:
1.1 From Hotel Ibis Style Dragon Mart: Departure: 06:45h
1.2 From Hotel Grand Excelsior, Al Barsha: Departure: 08:00h
- 2. Official practice jumps continue (so far 87 competitors jumped): 09:30h - 11:00h Participants have to report to the Manifest of Skydive Dubai for registration early enough, right after arrival at the DZ. Jump order first come, first serve
- First take off 09:30h Non-official practice jumps, against payment (AED 65.00), are possible.
- 3. Registration: Completed
- 4. Lunch: 11:30h - 13:30h at the DZ, dining tent.
- 5. Technical Meeting: Starting at 14:00h - Participants: HoDs, Team Mangers/Coaches, Competitors, Judges, Officials. Place: Dining tent
- 6. Opening Ceremony: 16:00h - 17:00h Marina, "Palm DZ", Grandstand. Official team dress is required! Air show "Zoltan" 16:40h - 16:52h.
- 7. Departure Buses competition site - hotels: After the Opening Ceremony departing at 17:30hs
After a good day at the Marina DZ and with the "Official" Start of the competition tomorrow I hope our Deputy Meet Director, Helmut Schlecht and his Assistant, Dr. Rainer 'Exi' Hoenle were able to take a moment and celebrate their birthdays today. HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you both.