IPPI Card: Canada

Is the IPPI Card accepted in your country ?

While the IPPI Stage 5 may allow pilots to fly Cross Country in Europe, in Canada, pilots MUST write a Federal Government Hang Gliding Air Regulations Exam and notify Flight Service Stations in a advance (1-800 numbers are provided on the Canadian Website.)
A HAGAR study guide is posted on the HPAC Web site www.hpac.ca . It is actually fun - and interesting.

What is the minimum legal insurance coverage required in your country ?

Many high profile flying sites have Special Airspace Use provisions – a three dimensional block of airspace where the HAGAR is not required. These sites definitely require HPAC Insurance.
The majority of sites were developed by HPAC members and to protect the sites from closure due to someone causing damage to some landowner property, liability Insurance from HPAC is required. Foreign Insurance will not guarantee a person's access to a HPAC site.
The cost of membership varies province to province due to the varying Provincial fees , the base rate is $125.00 plus any Provincial fee usually $15.00 to $25.00. Membership is good for 1 year. HPAC insurance is also required at all Competitions. An HPAC waiver must also be signed - also available from the website.

What additional coverage does your country recommend (such as medical insurance, search and rescue etc...) ?

Medical Insurance, search & rescue both would up to the pilot 's discretion.
Search and Rescue charges are commonly in the $2 - 5000.00 range, with medical fees well in addition to that.
Automobile Association Members can purchase excellent and very inexpensive medical insurance - around a dollar a day - members can pick up this insurance at home or here in Canada. We strongly recommend this insurance.

Is your NAC prepared to provide a special insurance coverage for guest pilots who do not comply with your national law ?

For foreign visiting pilots we offer a temporary membership for $40.00 and it covers the pilot with Insurance for 90 days.

Other information

Radio Frequency Information
The following radio frequencies are designated for Hang Gliding and Paragliding in Canada:
1. Aircraft Radios (AM Band) 123.400 Mhz.
- No licensing fees apply to aircraft radios aboard aircraft in Canada (or the USA.)
- licensing fees do apply to ground based units.
2. FM Band 173.64 MHz is designated for "Hang Gliding Club Use."
- Clubs purchase bulk licenses for this frequency.
3. Family Radio Service FM UHF 450 MHz frequency range.
- This has 14 Channels, is restricted to a low: 1/2 watt power which is good for 3-5 km.
- No licensing fees apply.