The FAI Membership is divided into three categories : Active / Associate / Temporary. According to the FAI Statutes, definitions are the following:
- Active Member of FAI : A national organisation that represents the greatest number of aeronautic and astronautic disciplines in its Country and has been elected to represent that Country in the FAI.
- Associate Member of FAI : A national organisation or aero club which represents in FAI only one branch of air sports or astronautics in its Country.
- Temporary Member of FAI : A national organisation that is a candidate for Active or Associate Membership of the FAI and that has been admitted by General Conference to a temporary and restricted form of membership.
For rights and duties of each category, please read respective articles in the FAI Statutes (2.4.2. for Active, 2.5.2. for Associate, 2.7.2. for Temporary)
Before you send your application, we would like to draw your attention to the fact that the FAI Statutes stipulate that associations / federations wishing to apply must have a national jurisdiction, which means representing a discipline or, more general, air sport on a national level. If you can you assure that your association is acting as such, then please proceed.
You need first to contact FAI Members Manager and you will then receive in return a package of documents including:
- an introduction letter - to carefully read
- guidelines on how to proceed - to carefully read
- the scale of subscriptions - check the membership fees applicable for your organization
- a questionnaire - to fill in and send back
- the membership section of the FAI Statutes and By-Laws - to carefully read
After you receive the package, please send back all the documents needed and mentionned in the guidelines (letter of intention of application where you mention the type of membership you wish, questionnaire, your Statutes, recognition letter from a governmental organization if any, payment of the applicable fee).
After we receive your documents back and the payment (without payment, your application will not be considered), we will prepare your file for presentation to the FAI Executive Board who will be able to give a recommendation to the General Conference. Your application will be officially approved by the FAI General Conference (held in October each year). Therefore, we advise you to send the documents back to us asap so that all can be in order first for the Executive Board meeting and second for the General Conference. If your application is not ready for the next General Conference, it will have to be postponed until next General Conference.
If you are an individual please contact the FAI Member in your country!